Friday, December 10, 2010

Beyoglu is alive. Day and night. Where the name Taksim came from?

Today I had to meet a few of my friends, that is why I was in Beyoglu.  I took a few videos on the way and in Taksim.  I would like to share them with you.

There is also an important video here that I want to share because the place I record for you is the place that gave Taksim its name.
 And unfortunately as an Istanbul guy over 30 years I have learnt about this place only 5 years ago.  That was a shame but I did not know the place that gave Taksim its name. Actually Taksim name is coming from maksem word in Ottoman.  Maksem means to distribute.  Taksim was the place that water is distributed in old Istanbul.  And this place is hidden water collector behind the walls in Taksim.  Most of the people in Istanbul do not know about this place.

I hope you enjoy the videos.  I will give you short description for each.

First I took the sea shuttle from Uskudar.  relatively small boats from Uskudar to Besiktas.




Then I arrived to Besiktas.  While I was passin through Besiktas Square I noticed the flock of birds.  I called it dances of the birds.  Uou can see this very often in Istanbul in Autumn and winter.



Beyoglu was alive.  I took tram for fun.  I love beyoglu.



And these are  the collector and behind the wall videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment